Affordable Care Act (ACA) Coverage of Breastfeeding Help and Breast Pumps
What is an FSA?
A Flexible Spending Account (FSA) is a tax-advantaged financial account set up through an employer. It allows an employee to set aside a portion of their earnings to pay for certain medical expenses. The money set aside is not subject to payroll taxes.
According to the IRS, FSA funds may be used for breast pumps and supplies that assist lactation.
They may NOT be used for maternity clothes, nonprescription drugs and medicines, and nutritional supplements, unless they are prescribed by a physician to treat a medical condition.
Please note: MilkWorks is not able to accept FSA cards, but we will provide a clearly marked receipt that can be submitted for reimbursement.
What items MAY qualify for FSA reimbursement?
- Breast pumps – electric or manual, any style or brand
- Breast pump parts – any brand: replacement valves, membranes, connectors and breast shields, vehicle adaptors, battery packs, cooler packs, pump kits, and breast pump carry bags
- Storage and feeding devices – any brand: bottles, nipples, milk storage bags or containers; Supplemental Nursing Systems or Lact Aids
- Pumping bustiers – any brand, any style or size
- Cleaning supplies – any brand: micro steam bags, wipes, soap
- Breast care items – any brand: nursing pads, lanolin, nipple cream, Softshells and Therashells for sore or inverted nipples